You will need a current referral from your General Practitioner or Specialist for all consultations with our doctors. All new patients to our practice will need a referral to be seen. For existing patients, our staff will assist you in determining whether your existing referral is current, or whether you will need a new referral for any upcoming appointments. Each doctor is different, but new appointments are generally allocated 45-60 minutes and review appointments are allocated 20-30 minutes.
Booking an appointment
To make an appointment, please contact our rooms on (03) 9509-5977. Our rooms are open from 08:30 am to 5 pm, Mon-Fri. Messages can also be left on our answering machine after hours.
For each appointment, please ensure that you bring along the following:
- your Medicare card
- DVA card or Private Health Insurance membership details
- a referral letter for all initial consultations
- a complete list of all your medications or the actual medications themselves
- any relevant pathology, X-rays or CT scans
- any other relevant information that you have or may have been given, such as hospital discharge letters, copies of test results or correspondence from other doctors
We understand that people sometimes need to be seen urgently and we will endeavour to accommodate those patients as best as possible.
For urgent new referrals, we request that you or your GP send us a written referral so that we can allocate you to a doctor within an appropriate timeframe. We will then contact you to organise an appointment time. Please understand that the doctor you were referred to may not always be available at short notice. If that is the case, we can allocate your referral to one of the other cardiologists in our practice, but will always confirm with you first to make sure that this suits your needs.
Cancelling or re-scheduling an appointment
If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, we request that you provide us with at least 24 hours’ notice beforehand. This allows us to re-allocate your appointment time to another patient and assists us in providing an efficient service to all our patients. Our reception staff will be happy to help you find another suitable appointment time if you wish to re-schedule
Fees and payments
Our reception staff are available to assist you with details of our consultation fees and charges for our office-based investigations.
We request that you settle accounts for outpatient consultations on the day. We accept cash, credit card (MasterCard and Visa), EFTPOS and personal cheque. For your convenience, we can lodge an online claim for your Medicare refund once you have paid your account. Your bank details will need to be registered with Medicare so that the refund can be deposited into your nominated bank account, usually within 24 hours.
For in-patient services in both private and public hospitals, we will generally bill your health fund directly and you will not receive any account from us. However, you may still incur charges from the hospital (daily room charge, pathology and radiology charges) and/or your health fund (excess fee) for your in-patient stay. We advise that you contact these organisations directly for further information regarding these charges.
Eligible DVA patients are fully covered by DVA for in-patient and out-patient services.
Location, Transport & Parking
Cabrini Medical Centre
Malvern VIC 3144
Our rooms are located on the ground floor of Area H building and can easily be accessed via hospital entrance H (same entrance as to Day Procedure Centre). Access is from the northern hospital driveway on Isabella Street (Entrance B).
How to get here
- By car: 181-183 Wattletree Rd Malvern. Public car park accessed via Coonil Crescent.
- By tram: Stop No. 47, Route 5
- By train: Dandenong/Pakenham or Frankston lines to Malvern station (Glenferie Road). 5-10 minute walk to hospital.
Where to park
- The visitor’s carpark at Cabrini Hospital Malvern is accessed via Coonil Crescent (off Wattletree Road). A parking fee applies.
- After discharge patients may be collected at the hospital’s main entrance.
- Specially marked disabled car parking is available in our patient and visitor carpark, as well as our staff carpark
Three-minute drop off carparks are available directly outside the main entrance of the hospital.
- Street parking in surrounding streets also available with parking limits of 1-2 hours during day.
Services on site
We are on site at Cabrini Malvern. There are a number amenities close by including cafeteria, pharmacy, radiology and pathology departments, ATM machine and a gift shop.
Getting around Cabrini Malvern
- For people who are elderly or have a disability, Cabrini Malvern has a service to help with your bags as you arrive and leave hospital. It is available Monday-Friday, 8.30 am-6 pm.
- Volunteers are located throughout the hospital including main reception, who can accompany patients and visitors to their destinations within our hospitals
- If you need a taxi with wheelchair access, please advise the reception desk so one can be ordered for you
Lifts are available to all wards and admitting points